Open Source Game Clones →June 10, 2019 • #
I don’t play games at all anymore these days, but I ran across this repository of open source clones of classic PC games.
Some notable ones from the list that we used to play:
- 0 AD — Age of Empires
- C-Evo — Civilization II
- Interstate Outlaws — Interstate ‘76
- Jedi Outcast Linux — Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- OpenRCT — Rollercoaster Tycoon
- OpenSkyscraper — SimTower
The world of open source software (and GitHub, specifically) really is amazing. Kids out there the age I was when I played these can now go online and look at the source code to see how they’re made.
- Weekend Reading: Calculator, SaaS Metrics, and System Shock — Microsoft open sources Calculator, David Skok on metrics, and System Shock cross-platform.